Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Is history objective or subjective?

Is history objective or subjective? within the The Lounge forums, part of the Community category at Fictionpost Writing Forums - Where Writers Unite; Is all history objective? Subjective? Can we really know? When we study history, we look at primary sources (I mean documents, in particular). But how do we know those documents aren't full of :shit: ? No one really knows what ...(history, objective, subjective)

Is history objective or subjective?

Is all history objective? Subjective? Can we really know?

When we study history, we look at primary sources (I mean documents, in particular). But how do we know those documents aren't full of :shit: ? No one really knows what happened except for the people who were there.

I think history is neither objective nor subjective. It's not objective because we don't know if the information is completely true. But it's not subjective either. Subjectivity and objectivity aren't always opposites.
    "Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation."
    ----------Kin Hubbard

Emergency Yeast Officer BlackJack's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Is history objective or subjective?

But how do we know those documents aren't full of :shit: ?
    Have you never done source work in history? Or am I going to go off on one because I had a history exam today, and it was the nasty source-work paper...
    To tell whether or not documents are full of shit, we look at who wrote them, when they were written and why. Of course, all documents have some shit in them, so you have to take things with a pinch of salt. Or a whole spoonful. Depending on who wrote them, when and why. Oh, and where can play a part, too.

If you know now what you will know then, then now IS then, and there is no now, and there will be no then.

Then I saw on a white space that was left/A blessing written older than the rest/Leave me here, I care not for wealth or fame/I'll remember your song, but I'll forget your name.
    Lucky are you, who finds me in the wilderness/I am the only unquiet ghost that does not seek rest.

Tales of the Wyrd

Legen - wait for it - Melisende's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yaar, sometimes I feel all of history is examining sources. At the moment, for instance, we're learning about Ireland, and in particular, one of the Bloody Sundays. And we're going to be given so many sources to comment on, I think my head may implode.

Of course, as you get further back in time, you do get less and less evidence of actual events, but there are some things it's be pretty hard to deny, e.g. ancient civilizations like Rome and Egypt which left massive monuments and stuff.
    Fictionpost June 2013 Writing Competition Winner: The Ship's Cat by SilverDolphin.
    Fictionpost July 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Jungle by mellen.
    Fictionpost August 2013 Writing Competition Winner: Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose LaFlesh
    Fictionpost September 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Wondrous Scarr Street Scam by LadyOfTheSea
    Fictionpost October 2013 Writing Competition Winner: A Walk Down Memory Lane by Necherous

https://sites.google.com/site/captaintempleton/home
    elizabethpriest.co.uk
    http://www.ilovemel.me/
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

WOW! You get to do Irish history! Lucky sod. Which Bloody Sunday, out of interest?

If you know now what you will know then, then now IS then, and there is no now, and there will be no then.

Then I saw on a white space that was left/A blessing written older than the rest/Leave me here, I care not for wealth or fame/I'll remember your song, but I'll forget your name.
    Lucky are you, who finds me in the wilderness/I am the only unquiet ghost that does not seek rest.

Tales of the Wyrd

Blog Entries

Um, not sure. I think the latest one. There's a video and stuff... I'm confused though, because today we were learning about factors that lead up to the Easter Rising, but the main bit of that started on a Monday, and it was done in a week according to the time line I copied. Maybe that was a factor leading up to the Bloody Sunday?

I don't know ANYTHING about Irish Hisory, so this is rather refreshing after Nazi Germany for the 3rd time...
    Fictionpost June 2013 Writing Competition Winner: The Ship's Cat by SilverDolphin.
    Fictionpost August 2013 Writing Competition Winner: Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose LaFlesh
    Fictionpost September 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Wondrous Scarr Street Scam by LadyOfTheSea
    Fictionpost October 2013 Writing Competition Winner: A Walk Down Memory Lane by Necherous

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

Wow. Third time already on Nazi Germany? I'm only up to second, unless you count revision. The rise of the Nazis was my exam today. It was called "The Seeds of Evil". How cool was that for the name of an exam? Too cool, I reckon. And we're doing Russia again, too. Although I'm the only person in my class to have done Russia before, so I'm sitting there in a lot of lessons thinking, wait, why are we learning this again? And I have to remind myself that they don't actually know any of it...

Tales of the Wyrd

Blog Entries

RUSSIA!!!

I'd kill to learn about that! I hope we get to learn something new at A level, it bodes badly, I think we're going to do Nazis again...

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

We're currently learning about female suffrage. And today I found out that Emily Davison tried to stop the King's racehorse, and quite obviously died! What a retard! (It trod on her head )

She practiced on horses pulling carts, apparently misjudging the speed and power of a RACEhorse.
    'I think you're crazier than a fox,
    You insane bastard who's outside the box.
    In fact, so far outside the box
    That the simple idea of
    'Fox'
    Should really be in an entirely different box.'

Come visit the box.

Blog Entries

We saw the video of that and everything... ???

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

Ew....
    That the simple idea of
    'Fox'

Come visit the box.

Blog Entries

Yeah. It was awfully fuzzy, but it was focused on her and everything... Urgh...

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

OK, and you guys didn't know about the suffragettes before? When they arrested and imprisoned them, the women went on hunger strike, so they were force fed which, in those days, involved a tube up your nose, down your throat and into your stomach, and mushed up stuff forced down it.
    Oh, and a lot of people end up doing Nazi Germany at A-level, or, more technically, AS-level. And Russia is good. And then I got to do a sort of follow up when I did the Cold War in GCSE (we did inter-war Russia in Year 10, then Cold War in Year 11) so it all worked out pretty well.
    Last edited by BlackJack; 12-01-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Tales of the Wyrd

Blog Entries

I learnt about the suffragettes in year nine. I already knew that. There was one who jumped out a window to escape, and got impaled on iron railings or something. I can't remember, actually. In fact, getting right back on topic, I think we were looking at them as an example of how sources could be reliable or not...

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

We never studied them. I just read about them and stuff. In fact, in year nine, I didn't really do anything in history. My teacher was the librarian (not kidding) and so Mark and Dave and I just spent the whole time making up stupid sketches to do with the First World War because we were all inspired after watching Blackadder. And that, interestingly, was the basis of Street Comedy, which I still haven't posted...
    Remind me to ask Constellation about that.

Tales of the Wyrd

On the No Fly List OfficerToast's Avatar

You want to learn about Russia? Watch Fiddler on the Roof. Good movie.

Blog Entries

Our librarian is cool, but I really can't imagine her teaching... It would be fun to have lessons in the library though. Internet access! Books! What more can you want?

And please post some more random stuff!

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof. And we didn't get lessons in the library. They were in a normal classroom. And English classroom, actually.

Tales of the Wyrd

Blog Entries

I started watching it once, but I think I was ill or something, and I couldn't concentrate on it.

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

Yes, I do know about it anyway, that is part of what makes it so boring.

And our teacher...it is one of those lessons in which I don't like the lesson, but I like the subject.
    That the simple idea of
    'Fox'

Come visit the box.

On the No Fly List OfficerToast's Avatar

Lessons in the Library? Sounds like a show you'd see on public television.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread Information